Final Artist Statement

Works Name:  Me, Myself and I

Artist: Kasey Leonard
Year: 2nd year

Course: Bachelor of visual arts

Selling: $550

Artist statement:
Originally my painting began as an exploration of how I can normalise the female nude by subverting the male gaze, using myself as the model. This soon transformed into an exploration of the self and identity through the lens of Carl Jungs psychoanalytic theories of the unconscious, therefore, I abandoned my first idea and began a case study on me myself and I.
When thinking about what painting style I believe would suit myself and my different archetypes within the painting I was naturally drawn to styles that were painterly and expressive. So I began looking at artists such as Lucian Freud, and most importantly looking at female artists who have depicted themselves (sometimes nude) such as Jacqueline Fahey, Judith Leyster and Paula Modlershan, to not only see how they represented themselves as artists, but as people and as women. While many of the different version of myself I made sure to add some sort of difference in the painting techniques each tying in to what part of the self they represent. When looking at my artwork many might question, why is there a nude woman? The reason for this is because of my original question which focused on the female nude and my reason for keeping this is because when I paint, I paint nude. If I was to remove this aspect form the painting I wouldn’t be true to myself and wouldn’t be following the theories of Carl Jung.
Carl Jungs theories of the unconscious are each represented in the figures, the figure to the far left representing the Shadow (negative traits of oneself) and the animus (the inner masculine personality of the female self), many may think that it looks nothing like me however it is when I was younger I cut my hair so short that many mistook me for a boy. The persona (the ideal self) is represented in the unfinished painting to the far right, in this I’ve made sure to replicate many of the traditional techniques of portraiture from medieval to renaissance, this is represented in the delicate flowers, the shifted gaze and the wack proportion akin to artists like Botticelli. The painting is somewhat unfinished as I wanted to show that the persona is always being reconstructed as the persona is determined on environment, frequently changing and adapting.
In the middle of the painting is the self which has truly realised the persona, the shadow and the animus becoming the true self.

What to do with work after exhibition: Leave it, I’ll deal with it


Comments

Popular Posts