Final Outcome + Reflection

Here is a screenshot of the draft front cover
screenshot of a draft page in pdf form to see how
it would look in the pdf format

I have finally completed my book and formatted it in  indesign. Before formatting the final version I went through each page to make sure that their weren't any spelling errors that I could notice and formatted the layout a bit more. Below are some screenshots showing what the book looks like in progress this version I went with ultimately changed, the biggest difference is in the cover of the book, while the cover image didn't change I decided to change the layout of the text as I thought that it didn't quite sit right. I decided to change the text color and the centering of the font, placing it to the far right and adding a square gradient beneath the text to make it stand out against the white blouse of the character.

(In a later post I will upload the final version)

Reflection

One of the things I regret in my art-book is the amount of work,  I feel like their was to much for me to do and if the art book was a lot smaller I could have produced much higher quality work. While the outcome in the book isn't terrible and is pretty decent by my standards, I feel it could have been a lot better if the book was more condensed to say 12 pages.

For my project next year I think I might continue exploring this world and its characters, however it will be much more developed than this year with some possible character changes and designs. One thing that I wish I explored more was weaponry I wish that I Drew up some of the weaponry that the characters would use in this universe, giving the viewer more insight into the characters by their choice of weapons and the way they use said weapons.  Doing more weapon designs would also give more insight into the factions each character belongs to, for example the academy would have different weapons, opting for guns, magic and weapons that allow them to keep at a distance such as spear whereas the demon factions would use their brute strength and more traditional forms of weaponry such as swords.

While I wasn't happy with some of the work in the book I am happy that I attempted something different. Drawings like these are different to ones that I usually do as I typically draw things based around the fantasy genre, elves, medieval armor etc. The art-book the world is based around is influenced by both medieval fantasy in its themes of demons, destiny and science vs religion however its set in modern times which allows me to subvert and play with these tropes. While this affected the themes within the story this also influenced the way I designed characters as well, giving them modern clothing which is out of character for me as originally this was going to be set in a medieval world, I changed this however because I wanted to try drawing something different I wasn't use to.





Comments

Popular Posts