Carl Jung, How can the nude be normalized through the act of traditional self-portraiture and exploration of the self?


My Question has changed pretty drastically transforming into more of a focus on identity and the self.  How I use traditional self-portraiture and exploration of the self? What shaped me into changing my question to this, was research I did into the theories of psychoanalysts such as Freud and Jung. While researching I gravitated more into the Jung camp looking at what he has to say about the self. Looking at the theories of Jung allowed me to drastically change my question and will now be focusing more of an exploration of the self through the theories of Carl Jung. In his works Jung discusses things such as the person the animus and Animus and, ego consciousness, what do these all me and how do they fit in relation to my work?

These fit in relation to my work because Jungs theories are an exploration of the self and the many layers of a person psyche, applying these theories to my own work may help me address an exploration of the self. I plan to do this by painting multiple versions of myself in the painting all representing different aspects of Jungs Theory. The persona, a mask appearance the ideal me that is presented to the world ("Carl Jung: Individuation Process", 2019). While it isn't necessarily a lie it isn't exactly a truth as it is self constructed by the self and changes according to society or context. The persona will be represented in the painting as hyper feminine, mimicking the pose in Paula Modersohn-Becker self portrait, (I've selected this painting as I believe it is one of the most feminine paintings I've seen that celebrates female beauty and grace) this painting within a painting will also reflect the anima the feminine side. 

On the far right is my most recent thumbnail sketch
and will most likely be my final 
The animus is the masculine aspects of the female psyche hidden in the collective unconscious and will be represented in the mirror seen in the upper left, this image in the mirror will also represent the Shadow traits and weaknesses we would rather hide as Jung states“where there is light, there must also be shadow"("Carl Jung: Individuation Process", 2019).  Jung believed to truly grow as a person one must become aware of their shadow and persona, balancing them out, In the middle of the painting I will be representing my true self seated staring out at the viewer. 

While I having changed my question slightly, why the nudity? I will remain to keep myself nude as I believe that is the true self, when we are born into the world we are born nude not clothed. Another reason is that when I am painting, I paint nude its what I'm most comfortable with, painting myself clothed wouldn't be true to myself. 

Why discuss the male gaze in earlier posts? I believe the investigation I did into the male gaze is still very much relevant as their is the concern that because I am nude, the painting is therefore sexual. So to avoid this I investigated ways that I can avoid this through looking at how other artists have treated the female nude (responsibly and in non sexual ways, of course). These investigations weren't all for naught, as I still firmly believe they remain relevant to my project.

Link to the my earlier blog post about the male gaze:
https://kaseymareeleonard.blogspot.com/2019/03/subverting-male-gaze.html

Reference
Carl Jung: Individuation Process. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.mindstructures.com/carl-jung-individuation-process/

Comments

Popular Posts